U10 League Cup semi-final: CCCFC Whites 1 Chippenham Town Eagles 1 (CCCFC win 7-6 on pens) Print
Season 13/14 - Under 10 White

The Whites displayed nerves of steel amid high tension at Leafy Lane as they banished the ghosts of 2013 to book a coveted League Cup final place.
Beaten on penalties by Trowbridge Town at the same stage and venue 12 months earlier, the signs were eerily similar for the Colts as the seconds ticked away in extra-time.
Again the scoreline read 1-1 and, again, Marshfield’s players and parents had gathered around the perimeter of the field as they waited to find out who their opponents in the Hardenhuish Park showpiece would be after winning their own last-four encounter on a neighbouring pitch.
The similarities ended, however, once the referee’s whistle sounded to signal the conclusion of extra-time. While the pressure caused the Colts to convert only two of their four penalties last time around, this time they scored all seven spot-kicks, leaving the Chippenham Town Eagles keeper absolutely helpless on each occasion.
A high-quality shootout also featured six successful efforts from Town, with keeper Max only managing to get his hand to one of them, before their seventh narrowly cleared the bar to send the Colts through to meet Marshfield on Sunday, May 11 (1pm kick-off).
Full marks go to Matthew, Toby, Luke, George, Max, Brandon H and Tom for standing tall and making sure their penalties found the net. Each effort brought a sigh of relief from the Colts players and supporters, whose ultimate reward is a big day out and the chance to challenge for silverware next month.
Bradley, Josh and Brandon M waited patiently for their chance from the spot and supported their team-mates as the shootout entered sudden-death but were far from worried that their services were not required on this occasion.
The game itself was hampered by a cold, strong wind that blew across the pitch and ensured the ball spent more time bouncing out of play than actually in it.
Defences ruled for the most part and the below-par Colts never hit the performance level that has served them so well this season.
Town, meanwhile, were well up for the fight, robust at the back and in midfield and did not allow Colts time to settle, particularly in and around the box.
Luke shot just over after Bradley’s corner fell to him in a goalless first period, while Matthew’s strike from distance was held by the keeper following a neat link-up with Toby.
Colts made a very slow start to the second half and were punished when Town opened the scoring. Max kicked a low shot behind for a corner but it proved only a temporary reprieve as the resulting set-piece from the right was converted at the far post.
It was the first goal conceded by the Colts for more than three months – and more than three hours of football – but it served to spark them into life.
As Town were forced back, Colts won a corner of their own on the right with ten minutes to go and, just as he did last week, Matthew rose highest to head in Toby’s delivery.
With Josh and Brandon H repelling Town’s attempts to restore their advantage, George, Brandon M and Tom all threatened at the other end. The latter produced a low drive that whistled just wide, while Colts had a strong penalty claim turned down after the ball appeared to strike a Chippenham hand inside the area.
Extra-time saw few clear-cut chances, although Chippenham went closest with a free-kick that flew just over the bar in the last minute.
Both teams emerged from the match and the resulting shootout with immense credit and the Colts were mature and gracious in victory, having been in Chippenham’s position themselves not so long ago.
And, if the German-esque precision shown by the first 13 penalty-takers is anything to go by, maybe England’s future is in good hands after all.
Hope you were taking note, Roy.


Child Welfare Officer


Mike Poole

T: 07789 722610

E: poolemichaeljames@



Log in

CCCFC on Twitter

Follow me on twitter