NWL League Cup: Shrivenham & Watchfield 1 CCCFC Whites 3 Print
Season 14/15 - Under 11 White

A remarkable League Cup quarter-final contest saw the Colts concede three penalties yet still emerge with a magnificent victory over a top-notch Shrivenham & Watchfield outfit.
The Whites needed to show character in spades to claim the scalp of a home side who seldom lose and in doing so booked their place in the last four of the competition. Shrivenham head the current Division 1 table and finished only a couple of points behind champions Croft last season.
Despite earning a fine league point at the same Airey Neave venue less than a month earlier, the cup draw had presented a huge challenge for a Colts side still smarting from a heavy reverse on their last outing at nearby Supermarine.
However, they managed to better their performance in the previous meeting of the sides and were worthy winners of a tough tie that saw no quarter given by either team.
All 11 Colts on duty played their part in a wonderful team effort and did well to keep their discipline and shape when things didn’t go their way.
While three goals ultimately clinched the victory, a massive defensive effort from Tom, Bradley, Luke and keeper Max frustrated Shrivenham and provided the platform.
After an even start, Colts took the lead in brilliant fashion. The hardworking Callum used his pace to burst down the right and provided a cross that Brandon M volleyed into the net via the underside of the bar.
The home side were then awarded two penalties, both for handball. The first hit the post and the second the crossbar, with Max alert enough on both occasions to grab the ball before a Shrivenham player could follow up.
Max then produced a spectacular save to turn away a free-kick but it was far from one-way traffic and Toby shot just over after being teed up by Liam, while Matthew’s shot from distance was held by the keeper.
Brandon M’s strength and Liam’s trickery posed plenty of problems for the Shrivenham defence after the break but the Colts found themselves on level terms when the referee pointed to the spot once again following a foul just inside the box and it proved third time lucky for the home side.
Colts’ heads could have dropped at that point but they were soon ahead again. Bradley floated a ball forward from the back, Brandon H helped it on and the predatory George – who was particularly impressive in the second half – was on hand to score.
The visitors won a penalty of their own when Matthew was chopped down as he raced into the area and his low spot-kick nestled in the corner of the net.
There was still plenty of time for Shrivenham to fashion a response but they found the door firmly closed by a Colts side determined to hold on to their advantage, with Tom’s strength and Luke’s aerial ability thwarting their hopes of a comeback.
The victory maintained Colts’ fine record in knockout competitions over the past three seasons and they join Croft, FC Calne and Forest Green Rovers in the semi-final draw – with all four sides just one step away from a trip to the County Ground for the final.
MOM: Brandon M.


Child Welfare Officer


Mike Poole

T: 07789 722610

E: poolemichaeljames@



Log in

CCCFC on Twitter

Follow me on twitter