NWL U13 Division 1: CCCFC Whites 4 Croft Juniors Blue 2 Print
Season 16/17 - Under 13 White

The Whites made an excellent start to the new Division 1 season with a hard-earned victory over a Croft Blues side who got the better of them twice last term.
It was the first time since switching to the North Wilts League that the Colts had managed to pick up three points on the opening day and the contest offered yet another example of how closely matched many of the teams in the top-flight are. The home side opened up a slightly flattering two-goal lead on three occasions but were pushed all the way by a well-drilled Croft outfit who certainly held a distinct upper hand in the height stakes.
With three players missing through injury and another passing a late fitness test, the Colts were slightly depleted on a sunny September afternoon at the sportsfield. A new formation seemed to suit those who weren’t on the treatment table, however, with all 11 squad members on show contributing to a fine performance and, importantly, supporting one another until the final whistle.
Croft’s tall frontmen posed a big threat in the early exchanges and kept an impressive Colts back three on their toes. Max communicated with his defenders effectively and dealt with a number of strikes from around the edge of the box, while Bradley made a couple of brilliant last-ditch tackles as Croft prepared to pull the trigger. Luke VDB put in a terrific shift on the left of the defensive trio, often showing the energy and vision to start attacking moves, and Tom displayed pace and strength to cancel out a lively winger.
In front of them, Luke S was equal to Croft’s aerial approach and Liam F got through plenty of work, with the pair limiting space and time for the visiting midfield and using possession well whenever the ball switched hands.
The Colts created plenty of chances going up the slope as an entertaining game unfolded, with Liam B narrowly off target after racing clear of the Croft defence and Matthew seeing a couple of efforts blocked. The breakthrough came late in the first half when Matthew and Brandon H helped set up a chance for Liam B and George was on hand to apply the finish after his effort was saved.
It took a combination of Matthew, Luke VDB and a post to deny Croft an equaliser before the break and the Colts went in at half-time with a slender advantage. It was one they doubled a minute after the restart, with a patient build-up ending with Tom threading a superb ball through to George, who slid the ball through the keeper’s legs for a typically cool finish.
Instead of pushing home their advantage, the Colts switched off and some lax play in midfield led to a chance that Croft took with aplomb to make it 2-1. Some nervous moments followed in the next quarter of an hour as the away side probed for an equaliser, putting a close-range opportunity just wide and forcing Max from his goal to clear his lines on a couple of occasions. Luke S helped to shore up the defence as injuries prompted a reshuffle and the Colts weathered the storm.
As Croft committed players forward, Toby and Liam B showcased their dribbling skills to exploit gaps at the back. One such mazy run from Liam B drew a foul from a defender and he picked himself up to hammer home the resulting penalty.
Matthew drove a shot just over the top after another excellent move and George threatened to complete a hat-trick but instead of opening up a three-goal lead, the defict was cut to one when Croft capitalised on a high ball that put the defence on the back foot.
The Colts had eight minutes to hold out, but finally made sure of the spoils when Liam B rounded the goalkeeper and fired across goal, where Matthew was on hand to fire home the fourth and final goal.
Referee Andy Lewis’ authoritative handling of proceedings added to fantastic game played in the correct spirit throughout by both sides.


Child Welfare Officer


Mike Poole

T: 07789 722610

E: poolemichaeljames@



Log in

CCCFC on Twitter

Follow me on twitter