NWL U13 League Cup semi-final: FC Chippenham Whites 6 CCCFC Whites 1 Print
Season 16/17 - Under 13 White

The Whites’ dreams of a second North Wilts League Cup final appearance in three seasons were dashed by ruthless local rivals FC Chippenham.
Colts should be proud that they earned the right to take part in a well-organised semi-finals day at Beversbrook. They have now contested five such occasions since they started competitive matches at U9 level – and were reminded that many players go through their whole careers without having he chance to contest even one.
Chippenham’s strong spine and superior finishing ability proved the difference between the sides, with four second-half goals putting the tie beyond the Whites with 20 minutes still to play.
The first period was relatively even and saw Colts match their high-flying opponents for long periods. Matthew’s mazy run was halted on the edge of the box and George also threatened before Colts surrendered possession in their own half and were punished by a low tenth-minute strike that went in off a post.
They fought back, however, and Tom – pushed up front to offer some pace and muscle to the attack – broke free on the left and fired in a low ball that George forced over the line from close range for the equaliser.
Toby was making an impact in both halves of the field in a tenacious performance on the left flank and Luke S, Bradley and Josh all made crucial challenges to deny Chippenham as they broke quickly and in numbers whenever they won possession.
Matthew put a free-kick over the bar and Tom continued to cause problems but it was Chippenham who got their noses in front again when more careless play in the centre of the park and some sleepy defending allowed their striker to steal in and beat Max with a firm strike.
Liam F almost levelled matters for a second time before the break when he latched on to a through ball but his attempted lob was gathered by the keeper, while Brandon H had an effort charged down on the right.
Things began to unravel for the Colts soon after the restart as they were forced into increasingly desperate challenges to stem the tide. As Chippenham continued to knock on the door, a cross from the left was not cut out and a fine finish into the top corner from the edge of the box made it 3-1.
George raced on to Matthew’s fine pass from the restart but was unable to get a shot away and Chippenham immediately countered, again profiting down the left as another excellent, rising shot went in via the far post.
A rash tackle on the edge of the area presented the Stanley Park outfit with the chance to stretch their lead and they duly took it with a rasping free-kick and the scoring was complete when a right-wing centre was turned in from close range.
Max was becoming increasingly busy but followed up some good work in the first period with further fine saves in the closing stages as a tiring Colts side committed more players to attack. They went close to pulling one or two goals back, with Callum, George and Tom all denied.
After missing out on a date with Highworth Town H in the final, Colts will aim to end their season on a high with Division 1 matches against Ferndale Rodbourne and Supermarine N after Easter.


Child Welfare Officer


Mike Poole

T: 07789 722610

E: poolemichaeljames@



Log in

CCCFC on Twitter

Follow me on twitter